We had a limited amount of time in SE Asia, and the places I chose for our itinerary were just the tip of the iceberg. Both Luang Prabang and Siem Reap are tourist towns – for good reason, as they are wonderful places with a great deal to see – but I felt a desire to see something that wasn’t so set up for us tourists. (I didn’t know at the time that we would be fortunate enough to get out into the countryside with our guide to visit villages and speak with the people living there). I chose Battambang as that “normal” Cambodian town – it’s a good-sized city about 3 hours by car from Siem Reap. We drove there one morning, spent the day, and returned the following day . These photos come from an hour I spent walking around town:
This is one of 4 or 5 aerobics classes held in the park by the river. Most entertaining.
Everyone wears jeans. Shop displays are all over the sidewalks.
This is the sign for a shop that sold, um, signs…
Random scenes from the street:
Towards the end of the walk I wandered into a Wat, a temple/monastary. A group of young monks was chatting under a tree, and one of them (first picture) gestured to me to come over, anxious to practice the English they were learning in their studies. They were all in their early 20’s, and had been monks for 10 years. At one point I asked a question and the response I got was “Absolutely!” Since their English was really quite basic, I was surprised to hear such a sophisticated reply. “CNN!”, he answered my query as to where he had learned the use of the word. “Condoleeza Rice say – Absolutely Not!”
Chamrouen, leader of the gang. He took my email address, since as a teacher he dubbed me “King of English”, and said I would answer all his questions about English.
2 comments:
"absolutely" brilliant.
...but i'm also a little curious...did you enjoy it there? was it worth going? i get the impression is was kind of a let down...
Post a Comment